Budgetary Measures (2014)
Minsitry of Labour, Industrial Relations and Employment
· Review the existing ratios of foreign to local workers for the different sectors of the economy to determine the number of work permits to be issued
· For local enterprises, work permits will be granted on the basis of scarcity areas
· Removal of the exemption from payment of the Levy, National Pensions Fund and National Savings Fund in respect of foreign workers for their first two years of employment, except for those working in the Export Oriented Enterprises.
· Reviewing the apportionment of the 1.5% levy going to the Workfare Programme Fund and Training Fund for the next 3 years and amending the legislation so that 1% of employers’ contribution will go the Training Fund and 0.5% to the Workfare Programme Fund
· Increasing inspectorate capacity by providing for two Special Squads – one for the Labour Inspectorate, and the other for the Safety and Health Inspectorate